Quail Valley Garden Club Scholarship Program
Quail Valley Garden Club provides assistance for college students majoring in garden related fields. Its purpose is to promote fields that support gardening through increased knowledge and professional expertise. Students in Texas colleges completing their sophomore year or aboveor graduate students with close ties to Texas may apply if they are majoring in Horticulture, Landscape design, Ecology, Forestry or a closely related field.
We also provide scholarships for Elkins High School Seniors who are college bound and in the upper 1/3 of the class. Its purpose is to support deserving students in our neighborhood go to college.
Quail Valley Garden Club Scholarship Winners for 2017
Awarded our Members Luncheon in May 2017, City Centre at Quail Valley
· Stetson is a sophomore at Texas A&M and is from Port Lavaca.
· Majoring in Forestry and Rangeland Management at Texas A&M
· Wants to work in ecosystems and conservation of natural resources
· After graduation he wants to be in Fire and Aviation management, which is a smokejumper. or “hotshot jumper”.
· He wants a career with the US Forestry Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife, Range Coalition, or the USDA.
· During his sr. yr. in hs and freshman yr. in college he chopped and sold firewood for Southland Paper Mill to earn money to help pay for tuition, and room and board in college. He is trying to earn money in order to have low student loan debt.
· His mother is still paying off her own student loan debts.
· Stetson states that he will continue working very hard to deserve this scholarship.
Elkins High School Recipients:
· Has received many awards for her vocal abilities in varsity choir
· Awarded Academic Excellence all 4 yrs. In hs.
· National Honor Society
· Plans to earn a Psychology degree at Texas State University, then go on to Law School , which has been a life-long dream.
· Has a sister in Baylor Univ., and a chronically ill mother, so her father is her sole source of income.
· She is applying for financial aid.
· Nima plans to attend UCLA or the Univ. of Texas in Austin
· He will be a Pre-med student with an emphasis in Molecular and Developmental Biology. He plans to do research after graduating.
· His school honors and activities include volunteer as a Key Club member and Red Cross member, National Honor Society member, Tennis team captain, and 2 years in the Engineering Academy.
· His community activities include volunteering at the Houston Food Bank, M.D. Anderson Sprint for Life, and various school and church activities.
· Nima was a volunteer intern/shadower at Ben Taub Hospital in the anesthesia dept. and worked at Volta Engineering as an intern.
· His father is deceased, so his mother has put his brother and sister through college by herself.
· He has applied for financial aid and hopes to get help through scholarships.
· Christina wants to attend A&M Galveston or UH Main Campus
· She will major in Marine Sciences with a minor in Environmental Law and eventually become an Admiralty Lawyer.
· She has been in the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps. at Elkins for 4 yrs. In her sr. year she has been the Cadet Group Deputy Commander, the second highest officer over 95 of her peers.
· Her awards in AFJROTC include the Scottish Rite Southern Jurisdiction Award, Superior Performance Ribbon, and the Aerospace Education Foundation Cadet Badge.
· She is in the Air Force JROTC National Honor Society, and the Kitty Hawk Air Society in which she was both Pres. and Vice-pres., and is a key member of the Corp.’s Second Mile Mission Pantry Team, which restocks their pantry.
· Her sister received our QVGC Scholarship 2 years ago.
At this time she has no scholarships and has applied for financial aid.
Quail Valley Garden Club 2015 Scholarship Recipients